Saturday, July 28, 2007

Introduction (9:00 am)

Okay guys, this is my first post. Its just a quick explanation of this blog, as I have it planned out, for the next 24 hours. So here goes it...

The Span of Violence
For the first few hours I'll simply be giving examples of the effects that violence has on the world around us, starting from a personal level, and ending on a worldwide level.

Learning From the Past
Then for the next 2 1/2 hours I plan on posting information on one of the most violent and vast examples of violence from our past: The Holocaust. I'll be focusing on a group of children who were lost at Autzwitz Concentration Camp and how one survivor came to find peace at last from the pain she endured.

Children of Indiana
Here I'll be posting a series of articles from the IndyStar (indystar.com) which were published several years ago. These articles illustrated the devastating impact that abuse and neglect had on the lives of children across Indiana at that time - using several examples of children who were killed and who are currently listed on the Indiana Trail. This series will cover 3 1/2 hours of the blogathon.

Those Left Behind
This category is the largest of those I have prepared and will last 5 1/2 hours. It will focus on the words and experiences of those left behind: mainly parents of slain children, expressing their sorrow after such unimaginable loss.

Behind Closed Doors
This section of the blogathon stretches on for a period of four hours and focuses on the dynamics of household violence in order to bring about awareness of this problem. Children experiencing or witnessing violence at home is all too common and very preventable.

A Need For Closure
This section will stretch out for 3 1/2 hours and will focus on the struggle of grieving parents and other loved ones to find closure after the loss of a child.

Voices Behind The Pain
For the final hours of the blogathon I'll be blogging about some examples of how the grief and pain from the loss of a child have been put into artwork.



Okay...and here I go. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

SpillToJill said...

Hi There! I am your monitor for the 'thon, Jill! I will be here throughout the day!

please make sure you time stamps for each post. Thanks:)